Green Tea vs. Coffee
What is the Healthier Choice?
The morning ritual for most include either one or the other; Coffee or Green Tea. Below I will go through the health benefits of both, I’ll tell you what I personally do, and let you decide which one is healthier.
These points will all be taken on the fact that you are drinking your coffee and/or tea straight. No dairy, no sugar, no artificial sweeteners, no chocolate, or anything else for that matter. When you add the empty calories in, you are wiping out any positive health benefits from your morning drink and consequently adding in a lot of negative health benefits such as weight gain.
1. Helps you burn fat. Drink a cup of black coffee on an empty stomach in the morning right before your morning workout. This will help mobilize your fat cells and make them ripe for burning.
2. Gives you Energy. Coffee will also give you the energy you need to have your best workout. There are some days your exercise workout is just not up to par and you just “get through it.” A cup of coffee right before will help you go all out and get the most out of your exercise program.
3. Prevents Diabetes. Diabetes is one of the main threats to your health. Once your body is not able to handle glucose/sugar very well, all sorts of health problems can stem from diabetes or pre-diabetes. People who drink coffee have a 25%-50% less incidence of diabetes.
4. Coffee helps your major Detoxifier – Your Liver. Those of you who consume 4 or more cups of black coffee a day are shown to have an 80% less chance of liver cirrhosis.
5. Decreased chance of some forms of cancer, Parkinson’s disease, risk of strokes, and Alzheimer’s.
6. Coffee is full of antioxidants that will help you live a longer & healthier life.
1. Possibly makes you smarter – Green tea contains a compound called theanine. Theanine is an amino acid that actually crosses the blood-brain barrier and reduces emotional and mental stresses on the brain and gives you the feeling of relaxation.
2. Decreases chances of cancer – Green tea contains polyphenols that have anti-inflammatory properties and have been shown to help reduce the spread of cancer cells.
3. Consumption of green tea catechins have been show to burn fat & help you lose weight naturally.
4. Live Longer – Studies show drinking green tea will help you live longer by decreasing all causes of mortality. This is proof enough that you should start drinking green tea today.
5. Decreased chances of heart disease and stroke. The anti-oxidant ECGC has been touted as a preventative measure against arthrosclerosis, thrombosis, heart attack and stroke by naturally relaxing the inner lining of your arteries.
So there you have it; a case for coffee and a case for green tea. In my opinion I believe they can both be very beneficial to your health and well-being. There are a couple factors that I would suggest. Make sure both your coffee and green tea comes from organic farmers. Coffee is one of the most sprayed crops in the world. You do not want those unhealthy chemicals floating around in your morning cup of coffee. The best way to know for sure is by buying organic coffee and just making it at home every morning.
So what do I personally drink every day? Well, I drink both. I make my own organic coffee at home every morning and I add in a tablespoon of coconut oil. The coconut oil is not just for flavor, it has a lot of health benefits. I make sure my entire family has a tablespoon of coconut oil every day. I will write an entire article on coconut oil soon, but I would highly recommend you get some today.
In the afternoon, I opt for green tea. I didn’t always like green tea, but I forced myself to start drinking it a few years ago after the health benefits became so outrageously positive. So what did I do? I added a splash of lemonade to my green tea for a couple weeks until I got use to the taste. Then I slowly added less and less lemonade to it until I was ok with drinking straight green tea. I really wouldn’t recommend adding lemonade or ever drinking it as it is just too sugary, but I wanted to get to a point where I was drinking straight green tea.
So feel free to sip on these longevity drinks every day. Just make sure they are organic, in their purest form, and no added junk in them.
To Healthy Drinking,
Dr. Nick Caras